Main Street Program
It’s not by chance that Main Street and the downtown Square is a destination for residents and visitors alike. Through concentrated efforts and careful planning, the heart of Georgetown continues to improve and thrive, growing each year as the bustling city center it was intended to be.
To reach these goals, the Georgetown Main Street Program works to enhance downtown vibrancy and historic preservation by implementing guidelines set forth by the National Main Street Center’s Four Point Approach, a national revitalization movement currently in place in more than 2,000 communities across the country. These four points include:
- Organization – builds partnerships among the various groups that have a stake in downtown; builds a pathway to leadership in local efforts by launching community-based, volunteer-driven nonprofit entities that empower residents and investors to collaborate for sustainable revitalization.
- Promotion – promotes a positive image of downtown to a variety of audiences; focuses on authentic community assets, with high-quality image development campaigns and events that will attract new shoppers, visitors, and residents
- Design – focuses on the physical elements of downtown such as storefronts, signs, landscaping, and public spaces; targets infrastructure and building improvements that lay the groundwork for a physical transformation that will be both functional and attractive.
- Economic Vitality– identifies new market opportunities for the downtown area; redefines the district’s niche in the marketplace and sharpens the competitiveness of existing businesses, while nurturing new enterprises that respond to today’s consumers’ needs.
The Main Street Program also makes the following services available to downtown businesses:
- Design assistance such as architectural site visits
- Interior design and window display assistance
- Visual merchandising assistance
The Georgetown Main Street Program is part of the Texas Historical Commission’s Texas Main Street Program. Georgetown became an official Texas Main Street City in 1982 and is one of the oldest programs in the state. For additional information, you may also visit the Georgetown Planning & Development department.
As a Main Street America™ Accredited program, Georgetown Main Street is a recognized leading program among the national network of more than 1,200 neighborhoods and communities who share both a commitment to creating high-quality places and to building stronger communities through preservation-based economic development. All Main Street America™ Accredited programs meet a set of National Accreditation Standards of Performance as outlined by the National Main Street Center.